6.14.2011

sweet potato muffins with flax meal


Yesterday I was in the mood for a Fall-like muffin.  So, I came up with this sweet potato recipe.  If I do say so myself, it's pretty darn good!  I need to play around with reducing the amount of sugar - let me know if you get to that before I do! 

And, make sure you check out these links for the super health benefits of both sweet potatoes and whole ground flax meal!

By the way, both my girls said - "sweet potato muffins??  eww!" and then proceeded to gobble them down with large smiles  :)  Read on for the recipe and enjoy!


Sweet Potato Muffins

1 cup all purpose flour (I use unbleached)
3/4 cup wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar (I use Sugar in the Raw)
2 Tbs. whole ground flax meal (this is optional)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. cloves

* 15 oz. sweet potato puree (from a can or mash your own)
1 egg
1/6 cup applesauce
1/6 cup oil

* you could substitute the sweet potato with pumpkin or carrot puree


Pre-heat your oven to 350.  This recipe is perfect for 12 regular size muffins plus 12 mini muffins. 

Mix the puree, egg, applesauce, and oil.  In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients.  Stir together just until moist and fill your muffin cups about 2/3 full.

Bake regular size muffins 14-16 minutes and mini muffins 10-12 minutes (OR) until tops spring back when touched.  I'm guessing these will freeze well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...