7.19.2011

pizzeria scalloped tomatoes [seasonal cooking - summer]

ahh, a week by the lake has me feeling refreshed! 

And, what did I find when I got back?  A ton of green tomatoes - woo hoo!  I can't wait to see a bunch of red on those plants.

One of my favorite ways to use the abundance of tomatoes this time of year is with this Pizzeria Scalloped Tomatoes recipe from MACSAC.  You can find it in the cookbook From Asparagus to Zucchini (remember I talked about this book before?).  Add your favorite grilled meat or hearty veggie kabob and a green salad for a complete summer meal. 

Read on for the recipe. 

Pizzeria Scalloped Tomatoes

2 Tbs. olive oil
2 cups cubed stale Italian bread
4 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 tsp. minced garlic (2-3 cloves)
2-3 Tbs. fresh oregano, chopped if you'd like
salt and pepper
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
(it really is better freshly grated, promise)
1/2 cup pizza sauce or marinara

Pre-heat the oven to 350.  Grease a baking dish - a 2 quart size works nicely.  Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the bread cubes and cook until the bread is lightly browned.  Make sure to stir frequently, this should take 5-8 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and garlic; cook, stirring frequently for about 3 minutes, until tomatoes produce a little liquid.  Add the oregano and salt/pepper to taste.  Spread in the baking dish.  Sprinkle with half of the parmesan, drizzle with the sauce, and add the rest of the parmesan.  Bake 25-30 minutes.  Serves 4-6.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I love that you always highlight recipes from A to Z that I haven't tried yet!

oh, buckets' blog said...

@Karen - that's great! you're going to have to tell me a few of your favorites in case I haven't tried them yet...

Kristina said...

Sounds wonderful...can't wait until my tomatoes turn red too so I can make this!

oh, buckets' blog said...

@Kristina - let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...